Subject: Re: [office] Re: #6.8 - Errata Review - "In-passing errors"

Dennis,

In theory I don't disagree with your position on errors in the text and
don't want you to have the impression that I do.

As a practical matter, however, errata have to be bounded by those
reported by someone, else how would we know where to stop? One position
would be that we should create "errata" that when applied would result
in ODF 1.2. That is certainly possible in theory but I would not want to
volunteer for the task.

The purpose of this errata is to fulfill our maintenance obligations
that OASIS undertook when it submitted ODF 1.0 2nd edition to ISO. There
are a variety of opinions about the process we have or have not followed
and I don't want to get diverted into that discussion here.

Suffice it to say that this set of errata was created to answer the
Japanese "defect" report which I referenced earlier today. And yes,
there were a number of errors in my latest draft that you caught and I
am very grateful for the hard work.

Yes, the ODF TC needs a vigorous discussion of errata processes, how
long we will even answer questions about prior versions, etc.

However, my impression is that while ODF is of a great deal of interest
to many parties, the TC doesn't have unlimited resources and so I
suspect that at some point we are going to decline to maintain earlier
versions of the ODF standard. That is just a guess on my part but I
think it is probably accurate.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

PS: I have been cross-checking against your checks, plus against the
Japanese errata and both the ODF 1.0 and ISO 26300 text so I am hopeful
that the version I file tonight will be fairly clean.

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)