Subject: RE: [office] preferred view mode upon opening document

Hi Dennis,

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote on 10/28/2008 12:03:34 AM:

> "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>

> <office@lists.oasis-open.org>

> Ming Fei Jia/China/IBM@IBMCN

> 10/27/2008 09:04 PM

> RE: [office] preferred view mode upon opening document

> In the ODF TC Call, there was a request for clarification of the <choice>
> rule for manifest:preferred-view-mode and the passage beginning "Beyond
> that, ... ."
>
> Here is my recommendation for changes to the text to clarify what is
> intended:
>
> In the current proposal,
> http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/proposal%3Aauto-play_presentation_file_for
> mat
>
> Under "(1) simple option", change
> "Add an attribute <presentation:auto-slide-show> ..."
> "Add an attribute presentation:auto-slide-show ..."

option 1 will not be considered again since most of members prefer the extended option. Anyway, thanks.

> Under "(2) extended option"
> in the added paragraph on "Preferred View Mode" replace the sentence
> "Beyond that, a namespaced value is defined to enable the specific
> application to customize its preferred view mode."
> with
> "Alternatively, a namespaced value may be used to specify a custom value for
> the preferred view mode."

I think this wording is better than the original one, thanks.

> I also suggest that the the sentence
> "No default value is defined, and the way ... undefined."
> be replaced by the two sentences
> "There is no default value.  The behavior of application software is not
> specified for cases where manifest:preferred-view-mode is absent or the
> value is one not provided for."
>
> This last change is intended to cover situations where a custom value is not
> known to the implementation as well as when a well-known value is
> inappropriate or simply not supported.

Agree, this will be more extensible:)

>I avoided use of "undefined" because
> this can be taken to mean that some sort of failure or rejection of the
> document is also an option.

Agree, I am not English native speaker, not aware this sensitive meaning.

> It seems valuable that the down-level behavior of ignoring the attribute is
> also consistent with the defined behavior for 1.2.
>
>  - Dennis
>
> PS: I did not suggest any particular way that agreement on custom values
> might occur.  It seems simplest to leave that unstated and be something that
> happens by unspecified means.  Everything I thought to say was either very
> clumsy or too limited.

Currently what we can make certain is the 3 pre-defined values. For those uncertain values, some members prefer to define a pattern to specify the custom values. This may be mainly for those non traditional office software. I also agree with this because extensibility is not a bad thing for me.

> PPS: There is a question on whether the attribute should be preserved where
> it is not recognized or is not being honored.  It is not a foreign
> attributed but it can have a foreign value.  It is technically not a foreign
> attribute down-level because it is in a standard namespace, although
> implementations are known that drop attributes that are unsupported,
> whatever the namespace.   This is a meta-topic that we might want to discuss
> separately.

It is surely the case that native attribute may have a foreign value. This is an example that extensibility requires such solution. Maybe this topic will become a general topic in the whole ODF spec. Anyway, discuss it separately.