Subject: Spreadsheet Formula Conformance - Please Not Now

Whoa!

I just received an off-list note pointing out that Iteration 9 of the
Conformance Proposal (in version 8 of the document,
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200902/msg00058.html>) inserts
normative language about table:formula.  I missed that addition beyond what
we have seen in previous versions of the proposal.  (I wasn't looking for
it, since we haven't been discussing spreadsheets.)

I strongly recommend that we subdivide the table:formula conformance
proposal out of the overall Conformance Proposal.  I think it is better to
handle this when we know what conformance clauses in the OpenFormula
document we are appealing to, and what their names are.

 - Dennis

PS: I now find it odd that metadata extensions are now moved outside of the
definition of conforming document, but arbitrary additions to
recommendation about that, just raising one eyebrow.

FURTHER ANALYSIS:

The statement in the 9th iteration (makes an addition to section 10.8.2:

    "Within conforming spreadsheet documents, the namespsace prefix
    shall be vound to the namespace
urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:of:1.2,
    and the formula shall be a conforming OpenDocument formula as defined by
the
    OpenDocument specification part 2: Formulas."

(I'm not sure where the typos come from.  I downloaded the document twice
but the problem seems to be in the stored document.)

The reference to section 10.8.2 is incorrect for ODF 1.2.  The correct
reference in draft 8 of Part 1 is to secction 18.1016.

The full text would then start out with something like

    The table:formula attribute specifies a formula for a table cell.

    Formulas allow calculations to be performed within table cells.

    Every formula should begin with a namespace prefix specifying the syntax
    and semantics used within the formula.

    Within conforming spreadsheet documents, the namespace prefix shall
appear
    and shall be bound to the namespace
urn:oasis:names:tc:opendocument:xmlns:of:1.2.
    The formula shall be a conforming OpenDocument formula as defined by the
    OpenDocument specification part 2: Formulas.

    Typically, the formula itself begins with an equal (=) sign and can
include
    the following components:

(I separated the normative statements to support the practice of having
different normative statements be separate for cross-reference and tying to
conformance targets.)

There are other defects with this revision (which is also inconsistent along
with giving standing to a "conforming spreadsheet document" as much as I
think there is indeed such a thing), and I think that we should not attempt
to piggy-back reconciliation of the intended restriction as part of the
Conformance Proposal.