Subject: Res: Re: [office] More on graphics response

It sounds very good to me.

Best,

Jomar

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net>

Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 10:52:57
To: <robert_weir@us.ibm.com>
Cc: <office@lists.oasis-open.org>
Subject: Re: [office] More on graphics response

Rob,

Good idea.

Jomar, would the following work?:

******
"The |anim:audio-level| attribute specifies the volume level during
playback. Its value is a number in the range 0 (muted) to 1 (maximum)."

Note: The actual volume level experienced by a user is application,
operating system and hardware dependent.
******

Hope you are looking forward to a great weekend!

Patrick

robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote on 03/13/2009 08:29:16 AM:
>

>> Yes, but your suggestion of "the range 0 (inaudible) to 1 (the current
>> system volume)." would mean that if I already have my "system" volume
>> set to 0 that there would be no sound at all, ever.
>>

> That is accurate.
>
> I think what is missing is that there are at least two components to the
> volume that an user actually hears.  There is the volume as set by
> software (0-100%) and the volume set in the hardware, which also varies
> from 0-100% (except for very special systems which go up to 110%).  And
> there is often an intermediate level, in the operating system, that can
> also vary the volume from 0-100%.
>
> The actual output volume is the product of all of these settings.  So in
> fact if you muted the sound at the OS level or the hardware level, then
> you will hear no sound, even if the volume is set to 1 in the software.
>
> None of this is absolute measures, no dB's or anything like that.  It is
> all relative.
>
> I'd just say the volume set by the software ranges from 0 (muted) to 1
> (maximum), knowing that "maximum" is a system-dependent volume.   We can't
> make assurances greater than that since audio systems vary.  We're not
> writing software for a THX certified playback device.
>
> Similarly, when we say an RGB value is (255,0,0) we cannot claim that the
> user will actually see pure red, since their monitor may not be calibrated
> correctly, they may be viewing with tinted artificial lighting, they may
> be color blind, etc.  All we can state is the intent expressed by the
> output setting.  With things like sounds and colors we cannot make claims
> on system capabilities or human perceptions.
>
> -Rob

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)