Subject: Re: [office] OpenOffice extensions to ODF

On Thursday 15 July 2010 23:35:28 Hanssens Bart wrote:
> >> In any case, I'll likely vote against adding new features at this point
> >> unless there is something of extraordinary importance.
> >
> >Of course there is an argument to be made that this isn't a proposal to
> >add a feature but to correct an omission. office:annotation already
> >exists it is currently just not allowed in the suggested place, although
> >surely some TC members believed that office:annotation can occur in any
> >content.
>
> While I do agree with Rob about not adding features lightly, I do think
> that an <office:annotation> on <draw:page> is rather valuable, since the
> element / feature is already in the spec, and as Jos mentioned the feature
> seems to be implemented already...
>
> Now, I wouldn't go as far as adding it on each and every element (that's an
> ODF Next discussion), but just adding it to <draw:page> would fit nicely in
> the presentation improvements of ODF 1.2 (adding tables...)

At the moment annotations are only possible in text context which makes them
only really useful on text documents. Allowing <office:annotation> in a
<draw:page> can be seen as a bug fix to the spec to allow annotations also for
page based documents.

And seeing that it is already implemented in OO shows that there was a need
for it which we see in koffice too.

I agree that if it should be possible on all elements is something that should
be discussed for ODF Next

Best regards,

Thorsten