Subject: Re: [office] <text:*-ref> elements, <text:reference-ref>,<text:bookmark-ref>, <text:note-ref>, <text:sequence-ref>

On Mon, 2010-09-20 at 12:04 -0600, Patrick Durusau wrote:

"The <text:reference-ref> element represents a field that represents a
> reference to a <text:reference-mark-start> or <text:reference-mark>
> element in a text."
>
> Note the element *represents* a field (ok so far) that *represents* a
> *reference* (double indirection?) to a....
>
> Either the elements represents:
>
> 1) A field that can be populated by some means (we don't say how)
>
> or
>
> 2) It represents a reference to a reference mark set elsewhere in the
> text.
>
> What is confusing is to have the element represent both a field (that
> can be populated) and *also* represent the contents of that field.
>
> One, perhaps clearer version:
>
> "The <text:reference-element> represents a reference to a
> <text:reference-mark-start> or <text:reference-element>.
>
> But that gives no clue as to how text comes to be in that element.
>
> What about:
>
> "The <text:reference-element represents a field that is populated by a
> reference to a <text:reference-mark-start> or
<text:reference-element>."

> That captures that it is the field that is being represented and that
it
> is populated by a reference to particular elements.
>
> Does that work?

I think that viewing the <text:reference-ref> as a field that is
populated is unnecessarily complicated.

I would like to think of this in analogy to our table:table-cell element
that might have table:formula attribute with a formula. IN this case we
shouldn't really need the value of that formula or the text content of
that cell. Nevertheless we provide for it to allow simple consumers to
present the document without being able to evaluate said formula.

Similarly, I view the purpose of the text content of the
<text:reference-ref> to be solely for consumers that are unable to
construct that content. Any advanced consumers will surely re calculate
the value (or repopulate the field).

So I think that it would suffice to say that the <text:reference-ref>
element references (or identifies) a  <text:reference-mark-start> or
<text:reference-mark> element.

Andreas