Subject: RE: [office] RE: Directories in Zip packages

Ah, WTF for sure now.

Having restored my file associations I looked more closely at what the Windows Shell does with all those apparent directories that have no files in them.

 1. It turns out *every *one* that has no content ends up being an unrecognized form of 0-length file.  That leads to treatment of the following as empty files:

  Configurations2/images/Bitmaps (no final / of course)
  Configurations2/floater
  Configurations2/menubar
  Configurations2/popupmenu
  Configurations2/progressbar
  Configurations2/statusbar
  Configurations2/toobar

 2. For bonus credit, I *opened* Configurations2/accelerator/current.xml (which auto-launched IE8).  Guess what?

   The XML page cannot be displayed

   Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and
   then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

   XML document must have a top level element. Error
   processing resource 'file:///C:/Documents and Settings/orcmid/Local Setti...

Makes sense to me, or as we once found useful to say, "Garbage in, Garbage out."

 - Dennis