Subject: RE: [office] RE: Directories in Zip packages

+1

-----Original Message-----
From: David LeBlanc [mailto:dleblanc@exchange.microsoft.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 10:43
To: robert_weir@us.ibm.com; Michael Stahl
Cc: ODF TC List

Rob asked:

>But what about A/B/D/ ?  It contains only the empty subdirectory A/B/C/E/.
>So it is not empty, but it only contains empty things.  So is it signed?

No, unless the presence of emtpy directories has some impact on the content
or appearance of the document. The principle is "What You See Is What You
Sign". So if changing or removing the directory makes no difference in what
is seen, it doesn't matter if you sign it.

The container for the files should really be an independent thing, and what
we're signing are the files themselves.

That's for document signing. If we're trying to sign something to ensure
that it hasn't been tampered with, then we'd just sign the whole archive as
a blob, and the signature would then be external to the archive - could be
that both of them are stored in another archive. I think there's less
customer need for this mode, and when we get back to encryption, we can
provide for this.