oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] deliverable "state of interoperability"

Title: RE: [oic] deliverable "state of interoperability"

Hello Dennis,

> I didn't think of description of *our* state and what we are working
> on/toward is what was intended.

True, maybe my wording wasn't exactly clear, but my outline would be more
than just "what is the OIC working on"

> There is the question about how we identify the state of interoperability,

Mm, I assume the only way to identify it objectively is having lots of test
cases and having people to send in their results...
Since there are billions of documents out there, we can only scratch the
surface and hope that people speak up when they spot issues :/

> Having a corpus of representative documents where interoperable use fails
> is good too, although we need to make sure the documents of that kind are
> important in someone's interoperability situation and not marginal cases
> in practice.

Absolutely true, the table-in-table construction I was referring, is in fact
something I've stumbled upon in real life documents (a template for project
managers, formatted with tables, one of them containing another table about
which version of the document was distributed to whom)

I certainly don't pretend to know all issues or their priorities, so these
documents would merely be an example, but I think it would be worthwhile to
include or refer to some examples (not necessarily my examples), along with
the way the OIC feels it should be dealt with (like you suggested)

It makes it more tangible, or at the very least people would have something
they can easily disagree upon, so they can fiercely submit their concerns :-)

> My appreciation was inspired by the discussions in formulating the charter,
> but all extrapolations and misunderstandings are mine.

As always, your feedback is greatly valued

Best regards,

Bart