oic message

Subject: Re: [oic] state-of-interop-cd-03 - AGREEMENT ON TC DOCUMENT FORMAT AND TOOLS

The problem is the the spec is just that - a vocabulary/grammar. It's not a rendering engine. I'm making the assumption that the spec is being edited in a rendering engine of some sort and not an XML editor such as Arbortext or Oxygen. If the latter were the case, then I'd forget about OO or any other implementation, consider the XML as source (just as you would if you authored in DITA or DocBook), and use an XSLT to produce both the PDF and HTML. Unfortunately DITA and DocBook can fairly easily be edited in their XML markup state; the same can't be said for ODF.

Those of us that have been working with document formats for decades know that a document authored in one specific version of an application running on a specific operating system with a specific print driver will likely never render the same given a different version of an application on that same operating system with that same print driver. The problems are compounded when you move across platforms and applications.

And yes, I have proven the same problems exist with PDF. It does not look the same on all systems, depending on how the file was saved originally.

Mary