oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] state-of-interop-cd-03 - AGREEMENT ON TC DOCUMENT FORMAT AND TOOLS

Andrew,

Although not bearing directly on your last response, I think it is useful to
share why I always review the PDF version of TC documents, especially the
ODF TC monster documents, even if I have to make my own.

Although PDFs tend to be much larger, they seem to open just as quickly if
not more quickly.

The big difference is in being able to follow the active links in the
documents, starting in the table of contents sometimes, chasing
cross-reference links, and so on, scrolling around a bit too.  I use search
too, but navigation (re-)tracing is important to me and a great time-saver.

In Acrobat Reader, I can use the back-navigation key to retrace my steps, go
forward again, etc., just like in a browser.  I haven't found a way to do
that in the native-ODF products I have found to use, so I have to go keep
going back to the top of the document and using search a lot combined with a
lot of page-up and page-down.

If anyone has an ODF Text processor that does permit link chasing and
browser-like navigation back and forward (un-back basically), or can show me
where I have overlooked the provision, I'd be very happy to know about that.

 - Dennis