oic message

Subject: OIC TC 2010-06-02 Meeting Minutes

OIC COORDINATION CALL
Date:  Wednesday 2 June 2010
Time:  13:30 - 14:30 UT

1. LOGISTICS
   ---------

The chat room: <http://webconf.soaphub.org/conf/room/oic>
 (doesn't count for attendance)

The call-in numbers: <http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/200903/msg00017.html>
Meeting agendas also provide the pass codes and the call-in numbers:
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/201005/msg00020.html>

The action items (log-in required):
<http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/oic/members/action_items.php>

1.1 ROLL CALL AND QUORUM CHECK
8 of 11 Voting members attended, satisfying the 6 of 11 requirement for a quorum.

    MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE

    * Bart Hanssens, Fedict (Chair)
    * Mingfei Jia, IBM
    * Robert Weir, IBM
    * Dennis Hamilton, Individual (Secretary)
    * Cherie Ekholm, Microsoft
    * Daniel Rentz, Oracle Corporation
    * Andrew Rist, Oracle Corporation
    = Svante Schubert, Oracle Corporation
    * Louis Suarez-Potts, Oracle Corporation

      [* = Voting Member at start of meeting (8)
       + = becoming Voting Member at conclusion of meeting (0)
       = = Persistent Non-Voting Member (1)]

    MEMBERS ABSENT

      Charles Schulz, Ars Aperta
      Alex Wang, Beijing Sursen International
      Jeremy Allison, Google Inc.
    * Donald Harbison, IBM
    * Andreas Guelzow, Individual
      Peter Junge, Individual
      Thorsten Zachmann, Individual
      Doug Mahugh, Microsoft
      Eric Patterson, Microsoft
      Alan Clark, Novell
    = Michael Brauer, Oracle Corporation
    * Bernd Eilers, Oracle Corporation
      Tom Rabon, Red Hat
      Jerry Smith, US Department of Defense

      [* = Voting Member at start and end of meeting (3)
       - = Voting Member becoming non-voting Member at end of meeting (0)
       = = Persistent Non-Voting Member (1)]

1.2 ACCEPTANCE OF PREVIOUS MEETING MINUTES

Minutes for the 2010-05-19 Meeting, approved without objection
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/201005/msg00014.html>

1.3 ACCEPTANCE OF TODAY'S AGENDA: approved without objection
<http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oic/201005/msg00020.html>

2. STATUS OF ACTION ITEMS

#0015 Template Scenarios.  Still on hold.

#0026 Work still in-progress with a target for the Brussels Plugfest in October

#0033 Best Practices for Document Authors.  Rob observed that Committee Notes have not been approved by OASIS, though they may still become available.  The suggestion is to hold off on attempting to use a specification format in the interim.  The technical content will be addressed but no Committee Draft will be put together until there is a template for TC products that are not standards-track.

#0034 Interop Demo Videos.  In progress.

#0038 Clean OTT specification template.  Work in progress.

#0039 Determine the status of Interoperability Profile CDs that were approved and not posted to OASIS site.  It was proposed to produce a correct version with the minimum required changes that we can approve as the completed CD02.  Then we can move on to implement any change of course.

#0040 CLOSED: Plans for next 6 months.  On the agenda for today's teleconference (item 4, below).

3. STATE OF INTEROPERABILITY REPORT (CD04 60-day public review ended 2010-05-08)
Rob confirmed that he can now edit the five JIRA issues that apply to the report.
Rob will have a CD04 revision available for the next meeting. We can approve it as a CD and have an additional 15-day Public Review on the way toward a Committee Specification.

4. PLANNING FOR THE NEXT 6 MONTHS
Rob suggested that we look at the environment for implementers over the next six months:
  ODF 1.2 will be undergoing approval as an OASIS Standard.
  ODF 1.1 will be in process as an amendment of ISO/IEC IS 26300:2006.
  ODF 1.2 will be submitted to ISO/IEC.

ODF 1.1 implementations will overlap with the emergence of ODF 1.2 implementations.  There are implications for interoperability with regard to changes and additions that exist in ODF 1.2 formats and how ODF 1.1 implementations degrade or fail when they are encountered.

It's unclear that there is a comprehensive list of differences introduced in ODF 1.2.  Appendix G in ODF 1.2 CD05 Part 1 is a good place to start though.

It is proposed that we arrange to compile very simple ODF 1.2 documents that exhibit a changed or new provision in ODF 1.2.  These simple documents can be simple ways to assess (1) how ODF 1.2 implementations respect the particular case and (2) how ODF 1.1 implementations are able to consume the document in some degraded manner if at all.

These are not meant to be comprehensive.  Trial consumption of the documents will serve as probes to see where interoperability is successful, where it is imperfect, and where it fails.  The test documents need to be valid ODF 1.2, but there need not be elaborate definitions, test assertions, or anything particularly formal for the documents to be valuable in assessments.  Also, keeping it simple in this way is probably safe from needing much rework if there are further changes in ODF 1.2 between now and approval as an OASIS Standard.

For timing, we discussed having initial materials for the next Plugfest, in October, and perhaps having an opportunity to discuss the approach and what is becoming available in conjunction with the ODF Track at OO.o 2010.  Also, even this breadth-first approach to finding any 1.1-1.2 interoperability breakdowns will provide greater detail for a future "State of Interoperability" report.

NEXT STEPS: Rob and/or Dennis will exchange mail/posts and have a proposed approach for review at the next OIC TC meeting.  We want to keep it simple, to use the changes identified in ODF 1.2 CD05 Appendix G as a starter, and to have a straightforward way to compile and organize the appropriate test documents.  It will be easy to subdivide the effort and to elicit input and suggestions from the ODF community.

5. INTEROP PROFILES OR ADVISORIES?
Bart considered that we might compile advisories and periodically produce compilations of the current ones.  We considered what we might call the compilations.
  We satisfied ourselves that these would be interesting for implementers, whether identifying a hazard to common understanding of an ODF provision or suggesting a clarification of the intent.
  In considering the limitations of using a wiki, we reminded ourselves that the public cannot edit the OASIS wiki, so there is not so much risk of corruption of data as long as the OIC TC members are careful.  Also, we could put materials, including web pages, on the SVN repository as a way of protecting against inadvertent alteration and loss, using the wiki pages as guides to location of the material.  Comments could come in via oic-comment as usual.  (One advantage of working on the wiki, especially during initial discussion of an idea, is the avoidance of flooding the main oic list with notification of minor updates.)

NEXT STEPS: Bart is going to work a single example -- such as proper handling of change-history material when change-tracking is not implemented -- and see how it works out between the OIC Subversion repository and the OIC Wiki.  Then we can agree on organization and how to begin collecting more.

6. ROUND TABLE (none)

7. FUTURE MEETING PLANNING

   The next Teleconference meeting is on 2010-06-16 at the usual time.

Respectfully submitted,

  Dennis E. Hamilton, OIC TC Secretary