oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] Advisories 0001 - Change Tracking and Signing

The current existing implementation of META-INF/documentsignatures.xml (in
OO.o 3.2.0) will as if signing should continue if the document contains
tracked changes or comments.

Of course, an implementation that does not support tracked changes is in no
position to offer such advice, which is why I think the correct behavior for
a non-supporting producer is to never produce such markup (and to correctly
ignore it as a consumer).  That way, whether or not a signature is to be
produced, there is clear, consistent behavior.

As a general principle, I find it unacceptable for a consumer to produce
markup that it doesn't support. There might be some sort of careful
exception case, but I don't think this is one.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Hanssens Bart [mailto:Bart.Hanssens@fedict.be]
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:08
To: dennis.hamilton@acm.org; oic@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: RE: [oic] Advisories 0001 First Attempt - Separating Change
Tracking

> I think observations about not preserving unsupported change tracking
> applies to producers, not consumers.  The consumer presentation as if
> changes are accepted is a consequence of ignoring the change tracking
> and any markers.  If a new document is produced, it should definitely be
> without the change-tracking information.

OK, so nothing to be added in this advisory...

> In particular, a producer that does not support change tracking and that
> supports META-INF/documentsignatures.xml (in ODF 1.2) should never
> produce content that the producer's user can't see, (...)

Hmm, it depends on the context of the signature: is it a legal statement ?
In that case, there's probably a profile to be made :-) Many people would
go for the almost-PDF/A-route (no scripts, no hidden stuff...) although that
might not always be the desired option.

See also a very preliminary document:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=32052&wg_abbre
v=oic

If the signature is "only" a verification mechanism (to be sure the document
and all the files in the packages are trustworthy), then scripts, database
connections, change tracking, hidden metadata etc are OK

Best regards

Bart