oic message

Subject: RE: [oic] Advisory 00007 - Table Rows / Table Columns

OK, I did a more careful analysis of the ODF 1.0 Schema and specifications.

(I was confusing groups and the collection of rows into <table:table-rows> elements.)

There is a wording problem in ODF 1.0 and I didn't check how it carries over into ODF 1.2.

THE LIMITATION ON <table:rows> and <table:columns>.

In effect, the situation is as follows:

Any sequence of one or more consecutive <table:table-row> elements can be incorporated in a single <table:table-rows> element, except within a <table:table-header-rows> element.

Any sequence of one or more consecutive <table:table-column> elements can be incorporated in a single <table:table-columns> element, except wthin a <table:table-header-columns> element.

The choice to use <table:rows> and <table:columns> is arbitrary.  They are heavily used in the examples in ODF 1.0 and it is clear that these are to clarify the human comprehension of the examples.  The elements have no attributes and serve no function.

The correct statement is that those elements (and groups) cannot be used within table:table-header-rows/-columns elements.  It actually has nothing to do with whether headers are repeated or not.

WHO HAS HEADERS WHERE?

There is a serious ambiguity in the schemas for table-columns-and-groups and table-rows-and-groups.  This is not what 00007 is about, but it would certainly deserve an advisory of its own.

For example, the table-columns-and-groups pattern is satisfied by a non-empty sequence consisting of <table:table-column-group>, <table:table-columns>, <table:table-header-columns>, and <table:table-columns> elements.  Likewise, a <table:table-row-group> element has the table-columns-and-groups pattern for its content.  Additional constraints are expressed (badly) in the text.  It is clear, however, that a <table:table-header-columns> does not have to be at the beginning of a table-columns-and-groups pattern and that a <table:table-column-group> can have a <table:table-header-columns> child of its own (as can further-nested <table:table-column-group>s).

Great pains were taken to have the table-columns-no-group runs permit an optional header element in any single place in a run.  It is peculiar, after that, that there can be any number of such runs and interspersed groups.

The table-rows-and-groups pattern works the same way except for rows instead of columns.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The ODF 1.2 Schema is no different.  For ODF 1.2, it is the schema that is authoritative, not the text.  How grand.

 - Dennis