Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Experts needed

Opps sorry robert_weir pressed reply instead of reply all.
On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 5:58 AM,  <robert_weir@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> I've received a couple emails from people asking how they can help with this
> effort.
>
> When I was deciding whether or not to propose this TC, I asked myself what
> would be needed to succeed.  If it was just me, it would not succeed.  It it
> was just me and 2 or 3 ODF experts, it would not succeed.  I think that a TC
> like this would require at least 6 participants, ideally comprised of
> experts in the following areas:
>
> Representatives from the major ODF-capable applications -- at the very least
> OpenOffice (Sun and Novell versions), Symphony, KOffice, Google Docs &
> Spreadsheets and Microsoft Office.

Representatives really does not cut it.   What we need is like a ODF
acid test.   Pixel perfect rendering, Pixel perfect printing, standard
only document production and tested scripting support that everyone
can run.  If application does not come up to standard it fails that
simple and is a victim of public ridicule.

Please look at history if we don't want to go the way of rtf we will
go the acid test path.   Representatives was done with all parties to
rtf and over time Microsoft only extensions appears in it effectively
rendering it useless.

Representatives take part in standard writing not its enforcement.
Representatives have ear of enforcement only allows the enforcement to
be accused of bias and to be talked into being bias.  Before you say
that is unfriendly look at the mess of html until the acid test become
a public display of how good a browser rendered.   Be aware that acid
test was created with no help from application representatives a true
test of the standard.

Peter Dolding