Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Experts needed

2008/6/9 Peter Dolding <oiaohm@gmail.com>:

>> Representatives from the major ODF-capable applications -- at the very least
>> OpenOffice (Sun and Novell versions), Symphony, KOffice, Google Docs &
>> Spreadsheets and Microsoft Office.

> Representatives really does not cut it.   What we need is like a ODF
> acid test.   Pixel perfect rendering, Pixel perfect printing, standard
> only document production and tested scripting support that everyone
> can run.  If application does not come up to standard it fails that
> simple and is a victim of public ridicule.

In this regard, I suggest looking at the work Ian Hickson has been
doing as editor for HTML5 for WHATWG and W3C (he's producing one spec
for both bodies). He also maintains Acid3. With HTML5 he's putting in
things that will make a solid standard specification, but that is
implementable and that implementors will want to implement - and so
the list has strong vendor participation. HTML5 is going to be a
successful, useful, implementable and implemented standard, with large
chunks of it being available already in Firefox 3 and Safari 3.1.

In the case of ODF, the standard exists (with 1.2 being straightened
out now) - but in all those other ways, it's directly comparable. So
what are they doing right?

- d.