Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] (1)(e) Specification of the IPR Mode underwhich the TC will operate.

"Matthew Reingold" <matthewreingold@gmail.com> wrote on 06/10/2008 01:04:24 PM:

> Hi Rob,
>
> I'm a lurker who dabbles with computer work and also follows tech
> law. I've been following your blog for a long time! I wanted to try
> to throw some constructive thoughts in the works on this.

Well, thanks for participating, Matthew !

> I would first say that under section 10.2.3, it would seem to be the
> least restrictive and thus best option of what is available.

Good.  10.2.3 is RF with Limited Terms.

> I will say that the phrasing in 10.2.3  is not well defined,
> preemptively. I will ask a few more knowledgable legal contacts I
> know if they have any advice as to if the terms of 10.2.3 are
> defined within OASIS or not. I think OASIS's terms are lacking
> definition in what is reasonable and what isn't. I don't know if
> this is an issue OIIC can deal with. Also, how is "reasonable,
> customary terms" as worded in 10.2.3 any different than "RAND
> terms", and how it is defined?  I think currently if anyone asks
> that, there is definitely no definition of what fits in that boat for OASIS.

You are correct that we can only pick from the three choices given.

A good resource, beyond the legalese in the link I sent earlier, is this OASIS IPR FAQ, which gives some rationale and addition explanations:  http://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/ipr_faq.php

-Rob