Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Group effort

Agreed.  From an outsiders perspective, it would appear that there is
some political baggage from previous situations at play here.  While I
would fully expect that politics would enter into a situation like this
to some degree or other, I am surprised to see it at this level so early
into the things.

May I suggest that reference to W3C, acid tests etc, may be pertinent
and possibly good ideas.  But only AFTER we have decided what we are
doing.  Referring to W3C, using Google Docs to help create an Acid Test,
these things are IMPLEMENTATION detail for the group.  These are HOW the
group would accomplish it's goals of testing IIC.  But we haven't even
defined WHAT we are doing yet, other than a vague idea.

I see this problem all the time in coding projects.  A customer may say
"We need a web page", and the developers rush out and start throwing
their pet technologies at it - PHP, RSS feeds, jQuery, etc.  But the
developers forgot to listen to what the customer wants - they may need a
static HTML page with a single image on it.  Making all the other effort
meaningless.  I see this happening right now.

Back to requirements people.  What are we doing?  Why.

I'm hearing complaints about Rob's leadership.  Well, we have a saying
at the local LUG (I think it originated from Linus Torvalds at one
point): "Those who DO get to dictate the details".  Rob has proposed an
approach (one question a day - with regards to filling in the needs for
a TC Charter).  Rob didn't make up the questions, these are from the
OASIS requirements.  If you think there is a better way, speak up and/or
take action.  Slamming someone else's approach without presenting an
alternative is not productive.  But keep in mind the goal at the moment
is to form the TC.  Not complete all the work of the TC.

I am seeing references to "IBM's" way, or "Rob's" way.  I don't know
where the IBM part came from.  Presumably Rob works for IBM.  But I have
not yet seen anything that says "IBM wants to do XXX", other than in
rebuttals.

So, let's save the politics until AFTER the charter has been completed.
  We are all here to make sure that charter is fair to everyone.  Lets
keep it that way.

My thoughts.

Shawn