Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] (1)(f) and (1)(g) -- audience and workinglanguage

Shawn <sgrover@open2space.com> wrote on 06/12/2008 04:47:34 AM:

> My question is how do we address the "interoperability" issue with
> regards to presentation, if we cannot guarantee the same fonts will be
> available.  Do we make that a condition of testing - all tested
> platforms have the testing font available?  But does that become a
> meaningless test for an end user who encounters this but is not aware of
> the issue?  After all the document will look different, so the
> "interoperability" test will be a failure for that user.  (as a
> tech/developer, I see obvious answers here - i.e. install the font.  But
> to the general public/end user, this may not be so obvious.)

Maybe any test case would be written to use a freely-available font, like RedHat's Liberation:  https://www.redhat.com/promo/fonts/

But you are correct, that we can only control the parameters of our defined test environment.  We can't control what the end-user runs with, and that may impact interoperability.

One deliverable I've proposed is a report "Authoring Portable Documents: How to maximize interoperability with ODF", which would be targeted to end-users.  This could certainly contain a statement about the effect fonts have on portability.

-Rob