Subject: Fwd: [oiic-formation-discuss] Acid Tests

Oops, should have replied to the distribution list...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Luc Bollen <luc.bol@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 11:32 PM
Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Acid Tests
To: Shawn <sgrover@open2space.com>

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 8:16 PM, <robert_weir@us.ibm.com> wrote:

What may be doable, and more in line with the HTML Acid tests, is to forgo any claims that it is a comprehensive test.  Instead, we might think of it like this:

1) TC conducts a study of the state of ODF interoperability today
2) TC identifies the 10, 20, 50 or whatever features that in practice are causing interoperability problems
3) TC creates a "State of ODF Interoperability" report, and accompanies it with an Acid-style test that exercises those 10, 20 or 50 features.
4) The press will pick up on this, but we should let others deal with the name and shame
5) When the state of implementation improves, then loop back to #1

-Rob

I fully agree with the proposed approach.  This is very similar to the way Acid Tests are used for testing web browsers behaviour.