Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Acid Tests

2008/6/13 Luc Bollen <luc.bol@gmail.com>:

> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 3:35 AM, Sam Johnston <samj@samj.net> wrote:
>>
>> I have identified two (possibly complementary) approaches:
>>
>> A (single or multi-page) document (or documents) available online
>> An online engine for testing documents submitted via eg web form, email
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> I'm not sure which of these two approaches is most interesting/useful in
>> the context of an acid test, or if both are required, but perhaps it is
>> better to specify the requirements such a test must meet without specifying
>> the implementation. In any case an online test engine would be interesting
>> eg for verifying profile conformance.
>

> Sam, I'm convinced both approaches are needed.  An "ODF tool" can be either
> a consumer (e.g. a viewer), a producer (e.g. a tool producing an ODF
> document from a database) or both (e.g. a text editor).
> - a document available on-line will be of no use to test an ODF producer
> - an online verificator engine will be of no use to test an ODF consumer.

Finance.

Let's make a guess. Somewhere between 5-60% of the tests will require
manual intervention.
Who will host the site, maintain the service. No, not Oasis.
Would you use it if you had to pay for it?
Who would use it? Vendors ( <6?)
Large corporations... Possibly.
.gov organisations? Possibly.
Others?
I don't think it's financially viable in this format.