Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] (1)(f) and (1)(g) -- audience and working language

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 7:21 PM, Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/6/13 Peter Dolding <oiaohm@gmail.com>:
> Unless that 2% pushes a text flow over onto the next page,
> leaving a blank page in the chapter where there wasn't one.

That is a layout failure.  2 percent + - is with layout intact.   If
any text goes onto a different page what would be a different relative
location it a failure to maintain layout.  So not layout perfect.

Layout perfect is exactly that.  If a page has X number of lines on it
and that is the way the person intended it that is the way it stays.
No matter what happens to the page size.  Reason size of font and
distance lines are apart is relative to printable area of page.

Everything must stay at its relative location and its relative size to
everything else on the page to be layout perfect.  Most commonly done
by relative size and location to printable area of page.

That is Layout perfect.  Its not something you can straight up use a
normal ruler.  Of course if test document prints its own ruler you
could use that.  Since that would have to be to the same scale.

Layout perfect but wrong size is something you do have people say in
printshops.    That is exactly that the customer either want the
document smaller or larger scaled without changing the layout in any
way.

Issue is not many programs operate in a layout perfect way.  Lots of
people don't have a clue that its even doable and compare the
experiences to the layout imperfect tools they know.

Dave Pawson you appear to never worked with software that generates
layout perfect.

One disadvantage in layout perfect can be page wasteful since it will
not pack more text on a page.   The important but here is when
printing a manual or contracts and the like where you want everything
on the same page no matter what its a really nice feature because turn
to page 10 on all documents created in a layout perfect way is exactly
the same page just different scaling no matter what size page its
printed on.

Also layout perfect throws lots of ideas of font sizes images sizes
out the window and goes more relative.  More real to producing exactly
the same page or the closest representation the output system allows.

Really Layout Perfect a form of imperfection tolerance.

We all know the number of lines of ink a printer does down and across
the page is different between models on top of that there is
differences on printable area on the same paper size.  Then we have
different page sizes on top of that.  Yet for some reason lots of word
processing programs got the idea that solid set sizes could some how
work.  Simple fact they don't.  Text moves between pages people end
being caught out by a person using 100 percent of page and there
printer only able to print to 99 percent of the page area.  Even worse
person does not have right size paper.  Layout Perfect due to allowing
scaling these problems are a non issue.  Person can still print the
doc still get it in a usable form.  And still be able to use that doc
of a different scale effectively with everyone else.

If the text ends up really small there can be issues with Layout
Perfect.  The layout is still perfect at that point but the document
is unreadable.  Theory of Layout Perfect basically says you could put
a document on a head of a pin and over the complete world and the same
page from them would contain exactly the same information just
different scale.

There is simply no such thing as a pixel perfect print.   But there
are such things are Layout Perfect prints it is the closest thing to
pixel perfect prints that can be created on every printer out there.

Peter Dolding