Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Profiles

Dave Pawson wrote:
> 2008/6/17  <robert_weir@us.ibm.com>:
>
>>> Or the other way round? The base could be a minimal document?
>>> Then profiles build on that.
>>>
>> It can go either way.  Some profiles, like XHTML Basic, are subsets of an
>> existing standard.  But there is also a W3C profile called "An XHTML +
>> MathML + SVG Profile" that combines standards.  In theory you could subtract
>> some features while adding others.
>

> Either way, request that the TC charter include addressing profiles and consider
> both documentation based and application based
>
> regards

But wouldn't defining the definition of a profile be part of the
charter?  Not necessarily creating a profile, but the guideline of what
goes into a profile.

We've talked about *maybe* using profiles, and we deferred the
discussion.  I think the topic needs to be addressed a little more, and
come to a definitive conclusion that profiles will/will not be used, and
if so, just what is a profile....

Yes, passing the chore of creating a profile should fall to the TC.  But
lets at least give them a starting point... :)  I could just picture the
conversation when the TC gets started:

"hmm.. the charter says we should use profiles."
"What's a profile"
"Doesn't say."

(yes, I'm ignoring the fact that some of the members of this list would
be on the TC, and that the TC would have access to the list archives...)

And I'm not saying they cannot redefine the idea of a profile if/when
needed either, but I know I prefer to start a new project with *some*
direction, rather than no direction.

Just a thought...

Shawn