Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] MARBUX POINT OF ORDER, OBJECTION, ANDSUGGESTIONS No. 1

marbux wrote:
> The only feasible way I can conceive of to work out of that mess is
> to start with a core profile that specifies a minimum feature set and
>  application behavior that must be fully supported by a conformant
> implementation of any of the profiles... Starting from a core profile
> and working your way outward to progressively more featureful
> profiles is the only rational way to begin the work of remodeling ODF
> into a set of application-neutral formats that different apps can use
> to interoperate. That approach (which CDRF imposes) presents a
> workable method for implementations to get the fundamentals of ODF
> interop right (including interop between profiles) and to implement
> progressively more featureful profiles in do-able increments.

I probably read the spec wrong again, but doesn't the profile stuff in
CDRF point to subsetting (removing features)? I.e, working from the
outside in, instead of from the inside out?

Still, it's an interesting approach... I'm still not quite conviced that
it's really necessary (some examples of OOo-specific stuff in the spec
would help here, like Jose asked for) but I would not object to putting
it in the charter.

--
Sander Marechal