Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] Summary and Focus?

Shawn wrote:
> 1. Are we testing ODF and it's capabilities (with regards to
> conformance, implementation, and interoperability)?

Yes, this should probably be one of the main goals. Aside from going
over the spec, the TC could look at all the real-world implementations
of ODF and identify the pain-points in the spec that cause the most
interop headaches for users and application developers.

> 2. Are we testing how applications interpret ODF?

Also yes. As I see it, there are two main sources for interop problems.
Problems with the spec itself (addressed in the above point) and
problems on how the spec is implemented. The TC doesn't need to test the
applications itself, but should probably deliver the tools and
documentation that help users and application developers implement the
spec correctly.

> 3. Are we testing how to use ODF to interact with other formats (OOXML,
> CDR, etc.)

I don't think so. Perhaps as a low priority item. I agree with the other
comments that the TC workload would be too much for this TC. Perhaps it
would be better off in a separate TC.

--
Sander Marechal