Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] My perspective. display perferct?

"Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com> wrote on 07/01/2008 12:54:54 PM:

> > It is common language in OASIS TC charters to say something like "The TC
> > will develop and maintain XXX", where "maintain" implies future updates,
> > revisions, etc.
>
> Is that another unwritten Oasis rule that you're hiding Rob?
> Custom and practice or some such?
>

>   I'd like to hear your argument for why the proposed OIIC TC
> > should be an exception to that practice.
>
> Until you mentioned it I didn't know of that practice.

I know.  After repeated requests you still refuse to look at existing OASIS TC charters to get a sense of the custom.

>  Remember, scope does not oblige us
> > to work on "all versions of ODF ad infinitum  into the future", but it does
> > permit the TC to choose to work on the interoperability of any ODF release
> > they decide to.  What is your objection to letting the people who will do
> > the work, decide which versions of ODF are most relevant to that work?
>
> It's not a clear work package without a defined version of ODF on
> which to work.

Wrong.  Without specifying a version, the scope is clearly defined as permitting work on any ODF version.  There is a difference between undefined and broadly defined.

> > In general I'd advise discussion participants to focus on things that they
> > want added to the charter which they personally would participate in the
> > development of.
>
> Another c&p?

No.  In fact the custom is for 5 OASIS members to propose a TC charter directly, after private consultations among themselves.  The use of a discussion list, as we are doing now, and having public participation, is far less common.

-Rob