Subject: ODF version in the charter,was Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] My perspective. display perferct?

Dave Pawson wrote:
> 2008/7/1  <robert_weir@us.ibm.com>:
>

>>> Thinking about it further, it also doesn't seem reasonable to
>>> require that something be a standard before the TC can consider it.
>>> To be of most value to vendors and to promote best interop, it seems
>>> obvious to me to work on standards which are not yet finalized.
>>> Surely the best point at which to raise interop concerns with a
>>> standard is before it's finalized/ratified?
>>>
>> That would be ideal, I think.  OASIS encourages co-implementation during the
>> development of a standard.  In fact, a TC must point to successful uses of a
>> draft before it can be eligible for vote as an OASIS Standard.  So although
>> it would be bad to release a conformance test before the corresponding ODF
>> standard is approved,
>
> Not bad. Impossible. Co-implementation? No.

Why do you think so. OASIS TCs operate in the public. ODF specification
drafts are publicly available available long before the the
specifications get a standard. I therefore see no reason why the OIIC TC
could not use them as basis for its work.

I'm not sure, but my impression is that you are assuming that the OIIC
TC is conducting its business based on the ODF TC deliverables, but
without any collaboration with that TC. Being one of the ODF TC chairs,
I have to say that I think it would be a pity if that happens.

Michael

BTW: I'm in favor of not including any specific version numbers into the
draft.

> Please test this. I can't tell you what it is, but please test this.
>
> Nonsense

StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS

	   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten