Subject: Re: [oiic-formation-discuss] My perspective. display perferct?

"Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com> wrote on 07/14/2008 02:48:08 PM:

> >> data is represented ON DISK as opposed to ON SCREEN.
> >>

> >> Is that of interest to others?
> >> If I create a (valid) odf document, save it to disk
> >> should it remain unchanged in terms of content when it passes through
> >> another application?
> >> I guess metadata will change (date last edited etc), but stuff the user
> >> wrote?
> >> Should that remain 'fixed' (markup + content?)
>

> > I would suspect that the vast majority of useful document processing
> > applications will change the input document in someway,
>
> That wasn't the question Rob.

And that wasn't an answer, Dave.  It was an observation.

> I asked if list members were interested in retaining content (metadata
> excluded, as stated)

But you have not been able to express this in a way the allows the user to use an application to intentionally alter content.  If we say that an application cannot change the content of a document, then we just prohibited word processors.  If we allow applications to change content as directed by the user, then we are reduced to "Don't do anything unexpected".

> > In fact the main advantage of an open format like ODF is that it makes it
> > easier to write applications that can read/write/create/modify ODF
> > documents.
>
> I did state, if user content is unchanged. I.e. it's the app
> thats messing with user content or markup. (metadata excluded, as stated)

Users don't change anything.  Only applications change ODF.  Until humans evolve the ability to directly change electromagnetic encodings with their fingertips, this will remain true.

> > I suspect what you really want
>
> I know what I want.

Every has wants.  That is not an interesting.  The question is whether you can express what you want as a provision in a standard.

-Rob