Subject: Draft Interoperability and Conformance TC formation proposal (0.3)

Here is draft 3.  I fixed a few typos and added significant text to the
Scope or Work statement in an attempt to address some reported concerns.

Again, text in [square brackets] are my notes and questions and will not
be included in the final submission.

-Rob
---------------------------------------

TC formation proposal.

1a. Name

OASIS OpenDocument Format Interoperability and Conformance Technical
Committee (OIC TC)

[Note that it is no longer "Implementation, Interoperability and
Conformance".  The general feeling on the discussion list was that we
would have enough to do with just doing Interoperability and Conformance,
and that implementation guides as well would be too much work for this one
TC.   If there is sufficient interest in the subject matter of
implementation guides, we could probably engage in that activity in the
ODF TC]

1b. Statement of Purpose

The OpenDocument Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument) OASIS
Standard defines an XML schema for office applications and its semantics.
The schema is suitable for office documents, including text documents,
spreadsheets, charts and graphical documents like drawings or
presentations, but is not restricted to these kinds of documents.

There are several commercial and open source applications available based
on the OpenDocument Format, with more currently under development.  With
the depth and breadth of functionality specified by ODF, achieving
conformance and interoperability requires attention to numerous details
and diverse requirements.

It is the purpose of the OIC TC to produce materials and host events that
will help implementors create applications which conform to the ODF
standard and which are able to interoperate.

[As some will undoubtedly mention, we do not define "materials" here.  The
meaning however becomes clear in the  "scope of work" that follows, and it
is that scope statement that is binding on the TC.  So we define it one
place, in the Scope of Work.)

1c. Scope of Work

In accordance with the OIC TC's purpose, the scope of our work will
include the following activities:

1.      Initially and periodically thereafter, to review the current state
of conformance and interoperability among ODF implementations, and to
produce an impartial report that notes areas of accomplishment as well as
areas needing improvement, and which recommends prioritized activities for
advancing the state of conformance and interoperability among ODF
implementations;
2.      To collect the provisions of the ODF standard, and of standards
normatively referenced by the ODF standard, and to produce a comprehensive
conformity assessment methodology specification which enumerates all
collected provisions, as well as specific actions recommended to test each
provision, including definition of preconditions, ODF instance documents,
expected results, scoring and reporting;
3.      To select a corpus of ODF interoperability test documents, such
documents to be created by the OIC TC, or received as member or public
contributions;  To categorize and annotate this ODF interoperability test
corpus; To publish the ODF interoperability test corpus and promote its
use in interoperability workshops and similar events;
4.      To define profiles of ODF which will increase interoperability
among implementations in the same vertical domain, for example, ODF/A for
archiving;
5.      To define profiles of ODF which will increase interoperability
among implementations in the same horizontal domain, for example ODF
Mobile for pervasive devices, or ODF Web for browser-based editors.
6.      To provide feedback, where necessary, to the ODF TC on changes to
ODF that might improve interoperability;
7.      To coordinate, in conjunction with the ODF Adoption TC,
interoperability workshops and OASIS InterOp Demonstrations related to
ODF;
8.      To liaise on conformance and interoperability topics with other
TC's and bodies whose work is leveraged in present or future ODF
specifications, and with committees dealing with conformance and
interoperability in general.

The following activities are explicitly not within the Scope of the OIC
TC:

1.      Acting as a rating or certifying authority or agency for
conformance of ODF implementations;
2.      Authoring or distributing source code or executables that test the
conformance or interoperability of ODF implementations.  Note: This
prohibition should not be read as preventing the TC from writing scripts
or macros in ODF documents where such code is necessary to test provisions
of the ODF standard specifically related to scripts or macros.

[I changed number 2 to make it clear that we would allow the TC to write
code if this was necessary to express a test case, such as if we were
testing a part of the ODF standard where it talks about where macros can
be added.  This is rather minor in existing ODF  versions, but one could
imagine a future version of ODF where the ODF TC provides more details
around scripting and we should try to preserve our options around testing
such scripting interfaces in the future.]

To the extent such activities are conformant with OASIS policies, the TC
may engage in other incidental and customary activities related to the
TC's Scope of Work, including but not limited to, holding teleconferences
and face-to-face meetings of TC members, giving conference presentations
or webinars related to the TC's work, interviewing ODF implementors,
users, and deployers related to their interoperability concerns, gathering
requirements and producing use cases pertaining to any TC deliverable,
engaging in outreach and publicity related to the TC's activities, and
producing content related to the TC's work for publication on the website
opendocument.xml.org.

[I added this to make sure we cover ourselves for all reasonable
activities the TC might undertake in the course of executing on its
primary deliverables.  Is there anything else we should call out here?]

Work of the TC may consider any version of ODF as well as profiles of the
ODF standard,  including published versions and versions being drafted.

[I think this needs to be stated, so it is clear that we can create a test
suite for ODF/A or ODF Mobile as well, if such profiles are created.]

1d. List of Deliverables

1.      Initial report on the state of ODF conformance and
interoperability (March 1st, 2009);
2.      Report on the best practices on profiles and recommendations on
possible ODF-related profiles (April 1st, 2009);
3.      A conformity assessment methodology specification, detailing how
each provision and recommendation in the ODF standard may be tested for
conformance (May 1st, 2009);
4.      Interoperability test corpus documents,  released in batches,
according to functional area (several incremental deliverables, Q4 2008
through 2009)

[These are my wild guesses as to a timetable.  The exact size, interests
and skills of the TC, once formed, will determine the exact pace, and
perhaps even the ordering of these items.]

1e. IPR Mode

This TC will operate under the "RF on Limited Terms" mode

1f. Audience

The direct audience of the OIC TC's work will be:

1.      Implementors -- Commercial and Open Source publishers of ODF
native or compatible applications and tools.
2.      Testers -- Third-party testing and certification labs.
3.      Procurers -- Those who purchase or define requirements for the
purchase of ODF-related technology.
4.      Regulators -- Officials who specify the use of document standards.

Other, indirect users of the TC's work may include:

1.      Integrators -- Third-party developers and independent software
vendors who interact with and/or integrate ODF.
2.      Users -- End Users of ODF applications and tools, including both
typical and "power" users.

1g. Language of the TC

TC business will be conducted in English.

2. Informative information

2a. Similar work

We note the work of Lotzi Bölöni at the University of Central Florida and
his initial work in defining an ODF "test suite", work now maintained by
the Open Document Fellowship:

http://develop.opendocumentfellowship.com/testsuite/

We also note that the work of the OASIS Test Assertions Guidelines (TAG)
TC may be of use to us in defining test cases:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=tag

Sun Microsystems has has also done some work related to ODF conformance
testing:

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/openoffice_org_odf_validation_service

We note that the W3C has test suite work efforts pertaining so several of
the standards which ODF references, including MathML and XForms.  We would
expect to consult with them on any overlapping topics.

Finally we observe that the OASIS ODF TC owns the ODF standard, including
the definition of conformance for ODF.   The OIC TC's work does not
overlap, since our scope would not include defining conformance for ODF,
but defining test cases (preconditions, specific test actions, expected
results) that are traceable to the provisions of the ODF standard and
referenced standards.

2b. First meeting.

The initial meeting will be by telephone and will be hosted by IBM.

[Date to be determined, likely late September/early October, 2008 .  Must
be no less than 30 days after TC is formed.  I'm volunteering the use of
an IBM conference line for the first meeting, with toll-free numbers for
most of the world.  If anyone has a problem with this, or would rather
host, let me know.]

2c. Meeting schedule

We anticipate meeting, by teleconference, initially every week as we
prepare for an interoperability workshop in November, and then reverting
to a normal alternate week meeting schedule

2d. Minimum membership who support this proposal.

1. Robert Weir / IBM

[TBD.  We will need 5 OASIS members, from at least 3 member organizations]

2e. Convener

Robert Weir/ IBM

[The Convenor represents the proposer group in dealings with OASIS from
the time we submit the TC proposal until the TC Chair(s) are elected at
the first meeting.  The Convenor's role disappears after that first
meeting.]

2f. Member section affiliation. None

2g. (optional) Contributions.

[Is there any work that will be contributed initially?  That's fine if
there is none.  Members or the public can contribute at any time.]

2h (optional) FAQ's:

N/A

2i  (optional) Working titles and acronyms for specifications:

None.