openc2-lang message

Subject: Re: [EXT] [openc2-lang] RE: [Non-DoD Source] RE: [openc2-lang] We need your input on: mandatory vs optional, Header, id, version, timestamp, sender

The question is should some of these be required on all profiles.  I think Jason is right here, that we should be phrasing the question in the reverse.  We should make everything mandatory and then try and find reasons why something should be optional.

Bret

From: openc2-lang@lists.oasis-open.org <openc2-lang@lists.oasis-open.org> on behalf of Mathews, Mary L <mlmathe@radium.ncsc.mil>
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2018 2:09:48 PM
To: 'Jason Keirstead'; Waltermire, David
Cc: Danny Martinez; Duncan Sparrell; openc2-lang

I believe that these fields should be optional in the language spec and mandatory in the actuator profiles or implementation considerations as needed.  I think that the arguments that say to have the fields be mandatory in the language spec but then say to ignore them if needed contradict the meaning of a mandatory field.   I also want to echo the point made by Duncan earlier that OpenC2 is a language, not a protocol.

Regards,

Lisa