openc2-lang message

Subject: Re: [openc2-lang] OC2LS CS02

Great questions Duncan.

Yes, a CS is a final deliverable at OASIS just like an OS is a final deliverable. However, a CS unlike an OS can have multiple releases. Meaning, a TC can release multiple versions of the CS, CS01, CS02, CS03, etc.  That is not the case for the OS.

The problem we all have at one point or another is thinking of OASIS work products like software. Software usually has semantic versioning and OASIS work products do not.  Now some TCs elect to have their own version of semantic versioning on what they do, but that is not enforced by OASIS.  Technically you could release OpenC2 Lang V9.0 and then release OpenC2 Lang V8.0.  Yes, it would not make sense and it would confuse the market, but there is nothing stopping you.

So a Working Draft number only increments on the current release train.  Once that product, loosely defined at OASIS, ships and the TC moves on, then it would be expected that you would start over with a new Working Draft number (aka 01) since you are on a new release train. A release train can stop at a CS or an OS.

So for example. STIX 2.0 had a series of WDs, CSDs, CSPRDs, and finally a single CS.  At that point, the TC was âdoneâ with that release and started on a new follow on specification, aka STIX 2.1. We could have easily called it STIX 3 but some in the TC want more software-like semantic versioning. So with STIX 2.1 we started over with WD01 and did a bunch of those, along with several CSDs, CSPRDs, and finally a CS.  We do plan to take STIX 2.1 to a full OS.

OASIS has these concepts of âstagesâ of a release, you start with WD, then CSD, then CSPRD, then CS, and then maybe an OS.  In software we have a major version, a minor version, and some times a patch version, and even sometimes a build version. At OASIS the documents are released as a version and those versions are in a various stage of development. So you do not actually release 1.0, then 1.0.1, 1.0.2, 1.1.0, 1.1.1 etc where each digit corresponds to a stage in the process.  You would have Version 1.0 WD ##, or Version 1.0 CSD ##, or Version 1.0 CS ##, etc.

Does this help? Or does it muddy the water more?

I am glad you like the landing page idea, I am trying to help OASIS work towards something like this for all documents. I think it would really help.

Thanks,
Bret
PGP Fingerprint: 63B4 FC53 680A 6B7D 1447  F2C0 74F8 ACAE 7415 0050