Subject: Re: [pkcs11] Proposal: CKM_SHA512_224, CKM_SHA512_256, CKM_SHA512_T

On 08/06/13 09:03, Michael StJohns wrote:
Hi Dina -

I went back to FIPS 180-4 and did a bit more reading. I now think I
understand what you were trying to do in section 1.3. Unfortunately,
your text was ambiguous enough that I didn't catch it.

I did go round and round with myself about this before posting the
proposal.  The first few drafts had more explanatory text, but in
the end I chose to stop rewriting FIPS 180-4 and removed it all.

What I would do is add a specific section reference of FIPS180-4 (e.g.
5.3.6) that identifies the class of truncated hashes you're talking
about.  I'd also add some discussion that a CKM_SHA512_T with a parameter
of 224/8 is the same exact function as CKM_SHA512_224 and equivalently
for 256/8 and CKM_SHA512_256.

As your section 1.3 current reads I got it as trunc(SHA512(data), t) not
as the section 5.3.6 construct. I object to doing the first one because
the effects can be duplicated trivially by doing the truncation
externally. The second one can't be done trivially on the output of SHA512.

"SHA-512/t" is the name of the digest method as described in section
5.3.6 of FIPS 180-4.  By calling it by its name, I thought it would be
clear which digest method I meant. I see how it can be mistaken for "Truncated message digests" in section 7.

Yes, stating the CKM_SHA512_224 and CKM_SHA512_256 are special cases
of CKM_SHA512_T is no problem.  It may even be useful to rewrite this
as one section instead of three, and make CKM_SHA512_224 and
CKM_SHA512_256 subsections of the main one.

Can I leave that to the doc editors, or do I need to do this myself?

D.

Assuming you add explanatory text as above I have no further objection.

(But seriously - I think this whole class of hashes is a bit of overkill
from NIST).

Mike