Subject: Re: [pkcs11] Ballot on Revised DSA mechanism proposal

On 08/ 6/13 11:20 AM, Michael StJohns wrote:
Point of order I think?

I went back and reviewed the bidding on this proposal - it's current 5/2/1.  But almost
all of the yes votes are "contingent" on fixing a bunch of stuff.  My understanding of
the process is that typo's and such can be fixed, but that substantive changes are
pretty much forbidden.

Hi MIke -

That wasn't entirely clear to me when I first joined, but, yes, I believe
only small editorial things can be requested as changes (like typos)

Other things cannot be changed.

As I read the proposal, (and in fact even a few of the comments with Yes votes seem to
read this way) there are substantive changes needed not just editorial.  I'm
particularly nervous about backwards compatibility - specifically CKA_SUBPRIME_BITS is
now (per the document and per Relyea's comment) a required attribute for parameter
generation.   It wasn't a required attribute for parameter generation for 2.20 or 2.30
(and I'm not even sure it was a permitted item).  That means that a current application
that currently works generating DSA parameters is going to get an error if it attempts
to generate against a 2.40 HSM.

AFAIK we're trying not to do backwards incompatible changes in this go around.

That's correct, changes should be backwards compatible in a dot revision.
That was what we agreed to.

I'd really like to ask those who have voted yes or planning on voting yes to consider
this point specifically as I don't think it can be fixed as an editorial change.

Mike makes a good point - please remember this when voting: you cannot
ask for substantive changes in a real ballot (straw polls where ideas
are being floated around are different).

You can vote "Yes, but please fix this typo", but not "Yes, but only
if you change this behaviour".  If you don't like the item AS WRITTEN,
vote no for the item (your no vote may include comments that could
be taken into consideration for a future proposal - though we are short
on time for such things).  If you just aren't sure, you can vote "abstain".

There's a lot of emails going around right now, but discussions should
happen on the list before an item is taken to a ballot.

thank you,

Valerie
--
Valerie Fenwick, http://bubbva.blogspot.com/ @bubbva
Solaris Cryptographic & Key Management Technologies, Manager