pki-education message

Subject: Review of the Burton Group PKI Position

Dear All

One of the deliverables of my ROI project for thr Education SC is to
review the Technical Position on PKI developed by Burton Group.  On first
indications, it appeared that this Position would have information about
costings and ROI (based on an outline we found in the public domain).  A
PKI TC members (sorry I forget who!) was kind enough to course a full and
bona fide copy of the Burton document, and I have now reviewed it in full.

Please see my report attached.  It turns out that the Burton document does
not fact have much to say about ROI.  It has other uses nevertheless as
documented.

I propose that we keep the Burton review separate from the eventual ROI
white paper (because the review is gently critical of Burton).  We should
probably reach out to Burton and forge an alliance of sorts.

Comments welcome on the attached, but you might prefer to save your
reviewers' energies for the ROI white paper in the next few days.

Cheers,

Stephen.

Stephen Wilson
Lockstep Consulting Pty Ltd
ABN 59 593 754 482

11 Minnesota Ave
Five Dock NSW 2046
Australia

P +61 (0)414 488 851

About Lockstep
Lockstep was established in early 2004 by noted authentication expert
Stephen Wilson, to provide independent advice and analysis on cyber
security policy, strategy, risk management, and identity management.
Lockstep is also developing unique new smartcard solutions to address
privacy and identity theft.
Contact swilson@lockstep.com.au.

Lockstep-Oasis Critical Review Burton Group PKI Position 041228.doc