Subject: RE: [plcs-dex] Referencing data within other exchange files

Saun,

sorry, I appreciate what you say, but how does this affect the original
problem, which is the duplication of entities in capabilities for the
requirement to be able to provide enough unique identification of the PIF?

The real issue at heart is the way the capabilities are having to use
entities beyond their scope to enable adequate interoperability between
them. This has resulted in the need to develop referencing capabilities
which have large overlapping set of entities with those that do the
representation. That just seems more complicated than it needs to be -
especially when we're going to see a significant increase in the number of
capabilities over time.

I don't really want to be a synnic, but are we really going to have a
separate capability for the representation_of_XX, the assignment_of_XX and
another for the referencing_of_XX? We'll soon be generating a set of these
for each module! Actually, maybe that would be a more logical!

regards,
Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: Barker, Sean (UK) [mailto:sean.barker@baesystems.com]
Sent: 17 September 2004 15:36
To: timturner11@bellsouth.net; David Price; 'Plcs-Dex teams E-mail '
E-mail

Tim,
	the idea of a unique id simply consisting of a number or string
disappeared with the introduction of the UID standard, for which any part
number must also contain its organizational context. (In theory, the
organization should also have an ID referenced to the context of the
organization that creates those ID's).
	The requirement is that the id be unique over the likely scope of
id's for 'that kind of thing'. Parts are generally not too painful, once you
know the allocating organization. For Task, it was required that the number
be unique within the context of the affected product.
	The critical questions are:
a) What makes the identifier unique for the entity-type in the context of a
distributed organisation (think DoD)?
b) Does the STEP data model allow that identifier to be associated to the
correct context?
c) Do cardinality constraints or rules constrain the model to require
extraneous data?

Yours:

Sean Barker (Implied PLCS context)
9518F (Implied BAE SYSTEMS context)
+44 117 302 8184 (what sort of entity is this?)