Subject: RE: [plcs-dex] Issues with identification and classification

Tim... I sent this as a reply to another email but thought I'd copy it here.
Apologies for dups.

All,

I think you've misunderstood my point. The real point is that the document
Rob B sent was clearly trying to distinguish between Reference Data concepts
(i.e. add semantic to the schema). For the use of RD in PLCS for data
exchange and scenarios beyond data exchange (such as Web service access to
the RD for use in applications trying to apply it) to work properly, all
such meaning must be in the RDL, not in the exchange file. One approach is
not more flexible than the other - remember organizations can extend the
standard RD with anything they want. It's a question of where the
schema-related semantics get specified.

Cheers,

David

As a PS: I don't see the point of worrying about 200 classes that will only
be used a few times in an exchange file when we're going to end up with 100K
classes and classifications everywhere. There is not really any noticeable
overhead to using RD in this case.

PSS: I'd also suggest that the context concepts are actually often the most
important concepts in an exchange file. They tell you whether anything else
in the file is of interest. Therefore, these should be managed and used in a
strict and rigorous manner.

David