Subject: RE: [plcs-dex] How to handle product category hierarchy in an exchange file?

Title: How to handle product category hierarchy in an exchange file?

All,

I agree that product categories should be in the RD, not the exchange file.

As an aside, we should keep in mind that we’re going to have to explain the use of classification and external class (RD) to all implementers. In my opinion, that makes consistent use of it the highest priority. Once you’ve decided to go down the path of using RD, you can’t stop half way or pick and choose when to use it. That just adds unnecessary confusion for implementers. I raise this concern after finally getting the AP233 team to understand the PLCS approach to RD (they just discovered the External_class entity type) as part of discussions about early testing. The others testing AP233 had no idea about RD either and so didn’t use it. They were not STEP literate at all but could appreciate its usefulness. However, they would not understand a lack of rigor in its use.

Cheers,

David

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Bodington [mailto:rob.bodington@eurostep.com]
Sent: 02 February 2005 14:53
To: Trine.Hansen@dnv.com; plcs-dex@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: Leif.Tonning@dnv.com; Jochen.Haenisch@epmtech.jotne.com; Jonas Rosen; Orjan Falk

IMHO I believe that we should not use product_category_hierarchy at all.

If we want to represent a classification hierarchy of products then we should use reference data.

I also intend to raise a SEDS asking for the where rule on Part to be removed so that we do not have to use product_category. As we have said in Annex I of the AP239:

Classification_assignment provides the principal mechanism for associating classes with items. However, an additional mechanism is provided for products, that is Product_category. See the Product categorization and Product identification modules. Product_category is used to distinguish between the different subtypes of Product defined in this part of ISO 10303. Examples are: Part, Requirement and Document. This approach is used by other ISO 10303 Application Protocol parts. More specific types of products, such as Oil filter as a type of Part should be specified by means of Classification_assignment, thus allowing the use of a class library via External_class.

The spreadsheet has not been reviewed.

Regards
Rob

Rob Bodington