Subject: Use of Upper case

Hi

I have noticed that a number of files are being checked into CVS are using Uppper case filenames and files with whitespace in.

Also – a number of file extensions are in upper case such as xyz.PNG

Our experience on Stepmod is that  this is a really bad idea and will cause problems when we come to build the HTML for publications.

The problem is that Windows in a not sensitive to case in file names.

However the Web and Unix machines are.

Consequently, links to files and images will work on Windows machines, but will not work on Unix machines.

The real difficulty is that once someone has checked in a file to CVS in upper case it is a huge pain to change it.

(I have to ask the Sourforge administrators to delete the files)

This due to Sourceforge running Unix machines and most DExlib users running Windows.

So please do not check in any files in upper case.

If you have already checked in files in upper case – we will sort them out on a case by case basis.

DO NOT TRY to delete them and recheck them in – IT WONT WORK – and will cause a real mess.

(I speak with bitter experience here)

Regards
Rob

Rob Bodington