Subject: RE: [plcs-dex] Questions regarding Next_assembly_usage

Still it all boils down to an parent part (the circuit board) and a child part (the transistor), and the location.

In PDM schema this is done using ordinary part assembly structures, where multiple next_assembly_usage are used between them to separate the locations and make the usage for each location visible.

In PLCS you can do that, indicating the location in the location_indicator attribute (which is not in PDM schema), as shown below:

Part circuit board

  N_a_u 'R1'

Part transistor

In fact, you can also use the entity Attachment_slot for the location, if you like:

Part circuit board

  N_a_u

Attachment_slot R1

  N_a_u

Part transistor

But you can also define a whatever_breakdown (I buy your reasons for functional), and use several combinations of elements to represent this:

Cuircuit board element -realized_as-> part circuit board

   Element_usage

Transistor location R1 element -realized_as-> part transistor

Or

Cuircuit board element -realized_as-> part circuit board

   Element_usage

Location R1 element

   Element_usage

Transistor element -realized_as-> part transistor

Or

Cuircuit board physical element -realized_as-> part circuit board

   Element_usage

Location R1 zone element -in_zone-> part transistor

Using breakdowns, you get a second abstraction level to the data, which can be very useful when you want to talk about the logical things as separate from the parts.

I'm not saying that any of the above is more correct than the other, or even that it should be done in any of the ways above - in fact I do not know which method to use, and I have a feeling that it is partly business dependent.

I just know that if you want to be able to individually identify a location in the design (where you design with parts) and you want to identify different torch values or whatever for the different positions, the PDM schema way is also useful.

And I have a distinct feeling that time is not mature enough to settle this in favor of breakdowns for all business areas just yet.

I might be incorrect, and that's why I need input from you people.
(Dave has not convinced me yet...)

Peter