plcs message

Subject: RE: [plcs] SV: PLCSlib CVS or Subversion (UNCLASSIFIED)

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: FOUO

All,

Apologies for not being in the original discussion at the PLCS-IF, so if I
say things that are already said, please excuse me.

LOGSA has used both CVS and SubVersion (SVN).  Here is our opinions.  CVS
was Old tech in 1999.  It is even older now.  While it is functional, it is
not user friendly and has limited capability.  SVN is much more user
friendly, and has greater capabilities.  To any developer user, it is a
welcomed improvement over CVS.  Migration from CVS to SVN was only about a
30 minute process.  We have used SVN for about 7 years.  LOGSA still uses it
in some processes.

Our Java development teams, no longer use SVN instead they prefer to use Git
or Mercurial.  There are clear advantages for remote users with these tools.
Mercurial is highly capable, but with greater capability comes additional
complexity.

Here is a nice article from last year, there are some small inaccuracies,
and later versions have improvements, but overall you get a general feel for
the products.

http://www.timedoctor.com/biz3.0/git-mecurial-and-cvs-comparison-of-svn-soft
ware/

At a minimum, I would recommend moving to SVN.

Respectfully,

//s//

James O Colson
Chief, Logistics Engineering Division
US Army LOGSA
Bldg 5307 Sparkman Circle
Redstone Arsenal, AL  35898
256-955-9866 (w)
256-698-3322 (bb)
https://www.logsa.army.mil/lec

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the United States Department
of Defense. The information contained in this email and in any attachment is
solely for the attention and use of the named addressee (s). Do not forward
outside of the DoD and their contractors without the express permission of
the originator.  If you have received this email in error, please notify the
sender by reply email.