Subject: RE: [provision] What WebServices Market Ecosystem?

Title: Message

I agree.  It may not be explicitly spelled out in the charter but I would consider the target for SPML to unquestionably include cross enterprise provisioning.  One of the major benefits of a standardized xsd approach to this type of application data transport is the ability to more securely squirt the data through a firewall and have some form of state-full inspection done on the payload.

An ideal place to document (or state) these types of requirement would be the “SPML Requirements Document” proposed in [1].  After the draft in [1] the document has kind of bee on hold.  If there is no objection, I propose we add your requirement to this document and formally publish this doc on the committee site.

[1] http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/provision/200208/msg00016.html

Darran Rolls                      http://www.waveset.com

Waveset Technologies Inc          drolls@waveset.com

(512) 657 8360

From: DeSouza, Edwin [mailto:edesouza@jamcracker.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 5:58 PM
To: provision@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [provision] What WebServices Market Ecosystem?

Hi,

In a previous email, I had defined such a Ecosystem.

What is an "Market Ecosystem"?

-- A large number of Consumers (Companies+Users)

-- A large number of Providers

-- A large number of Services

-- A large number of "Shops" who facilitate transactions between the Consumers and the Providers.  (NOTE:  In the physical world, Shops would be HomeDepot, Macy's etc.  In WebSerices, think about Charles Schawb.  I will explain in a separate email).

Basically, we will have utilized WebServices to their full potential when Companies will routinely decide to consume applications delivered by their internal IT or by external ASPs or external MSPs.

OASIS standards are needed to help make the "external" ASPs and MSPs acceptable to Companies.

Take SAML as an example.  It is providing a standard for security assertions that can flow through the Ecosystem.

SPML needs to do the same -- Provisioning that works across the ecosystem (Consumers, Providers, Shops) -- not just within a single corporate environment.

regards,

Edwin.