Subject: Re: [regrep-semantic] Thoughts??? on Ontolog Invited Speaker Presentation - Leo Obrst

Zackary,

I like Farrukh's approach to distilling use cases (despite my jocular
reply!).

Here's what I'm seeing helps us out from the morass.  In BCM we have
divided the world up into layers - at each layer there are different
semantic needs.  Each such semantic layer should have linkages
to the content above and below it.  There's a natural pyramid of
information (especially if we are talking eBusiness here - rather
than the W3C "Semantic Web" - a MUCH bigger ocean to boil!).

So - with our nice small ocean of eBusiness - we can then use
ebXML itself - to divide vertically across the horizontal layers,
and look for use cases in CPA, BPSS, and Transactions.

There's alot more on this in the BCM - including Events, Roles,
blah, blah.  But essentially you come up with generic purposed
semantic content that fundamentally you need to organize this.

Now here's the other bit of good news - the ebXML Registry
with its classification system and RIM already has a giant
chunk of what we need to get a Version 1.0 system up and
functioning.  I think that should also be our mantra here too -
look for lowhanging fruit - that will enable significant progress,
and worry about the really clever tough stuff after we've got
some solid metrics to base our understanding on.

The other good news is there's a load of registry projects
gone before us - that cost $M's and had mixed results -
we can learn from those efforts to make sure we steer
a simple and successful course....

There's some big needs out there immediately - and
if we cover those first - we'll get significant buy-in - and
we can then move to taking advantage of research work
elsewhere once it has stablized.

Folks like Leo naturally head to the really difficult complex
stuff - while I believe we should be making stuff that
is simple and easy to use.  That's the lesson that I've
learned on this - comparing the work we have now
compared to the original work we did in CEFACT
especially.

Thanks, DW.