Subject: RE: [regrep] Content-based Discovery v0.3

I think that it is more an issue of scalability.  Not having a relavancy
attribute when there are ten (10) entries in an ebXML registry is different
than not having a relavancy attribute when there are 10 million entries.  Of
what use is a 40k result set.  If I search for seller in an ebXML registry
that has 10 thousand entries and I get a result set with 300 entries what I
do next?

I may have miss read the standard.  If anyone can submit an index then
wouldn't there be value in  encoding your choice of hot links. From a p2p
standpoint, is there any value in trading result sets.

zack

-----Original Message-----
From: David RR Webber - XMLGlobal [mailto:Gnosis_@compuserve.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 8:01 PM
To: INTERNET:zack2@cris.com
Cc: regrep@lists.oasis-open.org; Farrukh Najmi

Zack,

This has come up before.  Relevancy is a subjective measure,
and it seems better that such algorithms be external to the
main registry specification - that can be applied post-retreival.

However - we did discuss before a 'frequency tracking' measure
that would say they often a piece of content had been accessed,
and last accessed date/time.  Again this may or may not
provide useful information since some content may occur in
query results becuase of some very common word in the
name or description.

How critical this is right now could be debated.  IMHO we
may want to wait off until we have larger sets of content we
can use to determine how effective such strategies may be.

DW.
Message text written by INTERNET:zack2@cris.com

Farrukh,

Is it possible to embed relevancy attributes in  Content-Based Discovery?
was thinking that maybe a user would want to check multiple registries and
analyze the results.  So registry 1 may say that an entry is 95% and
registry 2 may say that the entry is 40%.  This would mean that the
attributes would be transient.

2nd would it be possible to embed a "pitch" in the entry and evaluate the
"pitch."

zack<