Subject: Update on Spec approval process

Dear TC members,

I have been educating myself on the OASIS Standards Approval Process [1].

I learned a few relevant an interesting points undre the current rules:

1. A TC *CAN* give TC Approved status to a spec by voice vote in a TC
telecon meeting. This can be done either by

(a) roll call or
(b) voice vote ("all those in favor..." etc.)

followed by chair indicating his/her judgment that numbers were met
(sufficient "yes"s, and no more "nos" than rule permits)
at which time members can accept that judgment or challenge the
conclusion (by asking for a roll call).

2. The same voting process is allowed for the vote to send a TC APproved
spec for public review.

3. Neither vote requires a electronic ballot or a 2 week period.

4. The current process allows the "TC Approval" vote and the "Send to
Public Review" vote to occur in the same TC telecon meeting.

I have already validated my interpretation of [1] with my colleague
Eduardo Gutentag <eduardo.gutentag@sun.com> to make sure I did not
misunderstand anything.

Being a pathelogical optmist I would like to propose that we make every
effort to have a very high turnout of TC members for tomorrow's meeting
so that we can have everyone's vote count if we choose to have one or
both votes tomorrow. Please do your best to attend and attend on time.
Thanks.

[1] Standards Approval Process
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php#standards_approval

--- Begin Message ---

At 02:43 PM 2/2/2005, Farrukh Najmi wrote:
>Hi Jamie,
>As I a sure you are already aware, the ebXML Registry 3.0 specs are
>nearing Committee Draft status.
>I have the following question on the standards approval process [1]
>-Can a TC give TC Approved status to a spec by voice vote in a TC telecon
>meeting (assuming necessary votes were met and duly recorded in TC meeting
>minutes) ?

     Under current rules, yes.  If unanimous, minutes should say so and
note attendance.  If not, minutes should clearly reflect that the necessary
minimums were met. This can be done either by (a) roll call or (b) voice
vote ("all those in favor..." etc.) followed by chair indicating his/her
judgment that numbers were met (sufficient "yes"s, and no more "nos" than
rule permits) -- at which time members can accept that judgment or
challenge the conclusion (by asking for a roll call).

>- Once a spec is TC approved, can a TC decide to submit it for public
>review by voice vote in a TC telecon meeting (assuming necessary votes
>were met and duly recorded in TC meeting minutes) ?

     Yes.

>- Can the TC Approval vote, and the vote to send TC approved spec to
>public review, be conducted by 2 separate voice votes in the same TC
>telecon meeting ?

     Yes.

>My apologies in advance if some of these questions are covered by [1]
>already. If not you may consider clarifying in a future version. Thanks
>very much for your help.
>[1] Standards Approval Process
>http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process.php#standards_approval
>--