Subject: Re: [relax-ng] Agenda for RELAX NG telcon 20 June 2002

James Clark scripsit:

> 1. Should "externalRef" keyword be renamed to "external"?

Yes.

> 2. Should "notAllowed" keyword be changed so as to avoid mixed case
> keywords?

Maybe to a non-verbal keyword like "!".

> 3. Does anybody prefer "()" as used by XQuery instead of  the "empty"
> keyword?

Not I.

BTW, is "empty" semantically equivalent to "token ''"?

> 4. Should we allow
>
>   attribute foo { }
>
> as a shorthand for
>
>   attribute foo { text }
>
> ?

I'm not fussed either way; I would probably not use it.

> 5. Should we make quotes on parameter values optional when the value is an
> NMTOKEN
>
> xs:string { minLength = 1 }
>
> ?

Same answer.

> 6. Should we introduce an alternative string literal syntax that works well
> for strings that may contain multiple " and ' characters?  The leading
> contender is Python-style triple-quoted strings.

Yes.  Perl/sh here syntax should at least be considered; it has the
advantage that it doesn't force you to skip a potentially multiline
string to see if there is going to be a } or ) or + or whatever;
those things are on the original line.

> 7. Should we provide an alternative syntax for an annotation element that
> occurs as the first child of a RELAX NG element but is not semantically an
> annotation on that parent element?

What do you propose?

> 8. What should the conformance clause say?

I don't know.

9.  I would like to see a keyword "extension QName { (patterns) }
which compiles to <QName>patterns</QName>.  This would be used for annotations
that are functionally patterns.

--
John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com