rights-requirements message

Subject: RE: [rights-requirements] FW: Rights Requirements Submission

Hal,

In my experience most (if not all) standards groups are open to
representation from the academic community.  Its a matter of *people*
(academic or industry) participating and contributing work.
This is true to the IETF and IEEE.

I am also aware that some organizations are industry-driven in the sense
that their membership consists of stake-holders who have an investment/stake
in the specific technology and in getting the technology deployed.

Having academic representation does not guarantee anything.  Many of the
folks in standards groups work for their R&D department, and many have
PhDs and do research & publish papers.

With regards to fair use, as far as I understand a RL language expresses
rights, and thus can be use used to encode the rights of both the
rights-holders and the fair-use-rights of the consumers.

thomas H.
---------