rights-requirements message

Subject: Re: [rights-requirements] FW: Rights Requirements Submission

As I pointed out at the W3C workshop, we should assume a context or general DRM
reference model that would define open interfaces between three architectural
levels of abstraction: rights expression languages, rights messaging protocols
and mechanisms for policy enforcement and compliance.

Within that context, rights expression languages should provide the basis for
expressing rights information and policies, and as such are useful for a variety
of rights messaging applications including

* Rights information discovery
* Simple policy expression
* Rights negotiation and trading --- offer discovery, presentation and
acceptance (AKA making a rights request)
* The expression of rights agreements and electronic contracts (e-Contracts)

Minimally, a rights language must provide the vocabulary and syntax for the
declarative expression of rights and rights restrictions. In order to guarantee
interoperability and evolvability, we would also expect a rights language to be
inherently extensible: it must provide an open-ended way to express rights not
anticipated by the language "core." Such extensions might include new operations
on content or new contextual constraints...

Clearly, rights languages should not be thought of as e-Contract languages.
First, this is obvious because the domain of a rights language should also
include the vocabulary for expressing offers and requests. Secondly, the rights
specifications contained within rights packages are not e-Contracts! It is clear
that one possible use of a rights language is to express the parties, terms,
rights and obligations typically enumerated in e-Contracts. [c.f. FIRM] However,
e-Contracts go beyond the immediate scope of rights languages (and, arguable,
DRM in general) since they require complex, dynamic behavior, not just
declarative expression of state.

Note: The rights specification created by a rights expression language and
contained within in a license package can be thought of as a manifestation of an
e-Contract, held and maintained by some license server and generated based upon
a specific context of use. Such e-Contracts are reifications of usage licenses.

On the issue of representing principles of copyright law (e.g. fair use), I
believe that this *does* belong in the domain of the rights language. As I
suggested in last week's call, this is part of the context of the rights *claim"
that the user is making when they make a so-called "rights request," and this is
precisely at the semantic level of the rights expression language.

It also impacts on the so-called "system," because we also require an extensible
rights messaging protocol to enable this level of expressiveness...