rights-requirements message

Subject: RE: [rights-requirements] FW: Rights Requirements Submission

Title: FW: Rights Requirements Submission
Hi Hal:
I believe the operative phrase is "should be able to express". As you articulate below, there is a delineation between a rights language and the system that uses the rights language. While the merits of a rights language pertain to its expressiveness it is ultimately the decision of the system to use those expressions. It might be helpful for people to review the Requirements SC's work in progress which may illustrate this a little more (http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/rights-requirements/200207/msg00019.html).

Patrick, I, too, share Hal's question...

Regards,
Hari

-----Original Message-----
From: Hal Lockhart [mailto:hal.lockhart@entegrity.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 1:00 PM
To: 'pdurusau@emory.edu'
Cc: Rights-Requirements (E-mail); 'robin@isogen.com'

Patrick,

I am pleased to see this submission. There have been (negative) comments on the lack of repesentation from the academic community on this TC.

With regard to your specific requirements, I would like to act as a devil's advocate for the moment.

You state that the rights language should be able to express the doctrines of Fair Use and First Sale. However, it is my understanding (as a non-lawyer) that these doctrines are currently the law of the land and apply to ALL copyrighted works. Therefore I assume any digital rights management system would be aware of the need to honor these doctrines. So, it is unclear to me why a digital rights language would need to contain some element that would have to be applied to EACH AND EVERY digital work.

Can you clarify the intention here?

Hal