saml-dev message

Subject: Re: History of SAML Metadata

To put some closure on this, the original set of documents that
Liberty contributed to OASIS [4] is lost AFAIK. After November 2003,
ID-FF 1.2 continued to be developed (which is not surprising given
that numerous SSTC members came from the Liberty Project). For the
record, a complete list of the final ID-FF 1.2 archived documents is
documented in wikipedia. [5]

Unfortunately, a number of important historical documents are lost. In
particular, Version 1.0-06 of the Liberty Metadata specification, [6]
which had significant influence on an early SSTC work stream that took
place between April and July 2003, is lost. For details, see the
History of SAML Metadata in wikipedia. [7]

The most intriguing discovery is a very early draft specification [8]
dated one week after the SAML V1.0 Standard was published in November
2002. The metadata syntax used in that document is completely
different from the Liberty metadata syntax. The genesis of that early
metadata schema [9] appears to have been the result of a conversation
between Prateek Mishra and Jeff Hodges, but other than that, its
origins are unknown.

Tom

[4] https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/security-services/200311/msg00060.html
[5] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Alliance#Liberty_ID-FF_1.2_Archive
[6] P. Davis (Editor). Liberty Metadata Description and Discovery
Specification. Draft Version 1.0-06, 13 April 2003.
[7] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAML_Metadata#History_of_SAML_Metadata
[8] P. Mishra (editor). Metadata for SAML 1.0 Web Browser Profiles.
Working Draft 00, 12 November 2002. Document ID
draft-sstc-saml-meta-data-00.
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/security/docs/draft-sstc-saml-meta-data-00.pdf
(https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7vociYknAbCNEZIaDVwaWhXLUU/view?usp=sharing)
[9] https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/security/docs/draft-sstc-schema-meta-data-01.xsd