samldemotech message

Subject: RE: Attribute value data types

Title: RSA Interop 2005 Guidelines
I agree.
-----Original Message-----
From: Philpott, Robert [mailto:rphilpott@rsasecurity.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2005 8:34 PM
To: Ciochon, Robert; samldemotech
Subject: Attribute value data types

I believe we did all agree that attribute data in the Attribute elements will be in the “urn:…:attrname-format:basic” format.  We currently have defined 3 attributes to be included: MemberLevel, EmailAddress, and CommonName.  We didn’t declare the expected datatypes for the values of these attributes.  I am assuming all of them will be xsi:type=”xs:string”.  That clearly makes sense for EmailAddress and CommonName. Last year, we used “1” for the MemberLevel, but didn’t document its type in the spec.  I believe we ended up making it a string also.

So I recommend that we stick to strings for all attribute values.  Anyone disagree?

I also believe we previously agreed that we would not state that everyone has to use the same attribute values for these attributes (as we did last year).  But one thing I think we did agree on is that these would all be single-valued attribute values.

Anyone disagree?  So, for example, I might send or expect to receive the following attributes:

<saml:Attribute NameFormat=”urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:attrname-format:basic” Name=”EmailAddress”>

    <saml:AttributeValue xsi:type=”xs:string”>alicesmith@yahoo.com</saml:AttributeValue>

</saml:Attribute>

<saml:Attribute NameFormat=”urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:attrname-format:basic” Name=”CommonName”>

    <saml:AttributeValue xsi:type=”xs:string”>Alice Marie Smith</saml:AttributeValue>

</saml:Attribute>

<saml:Attribute NameFormat=”urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:attrname-format:basic” Name=”MemberLevel”>

    <saml:AttributeValue xsi:type=”xs:string”>1</saml:AttributeValue>

</saml:Attribute>

Sound okay?

If so, Bob, could you please update the spec with the additional info?

Rob Philpott
Senior Consulting Engineer
RSA Security Inc.
Tel: 781-515-7115